Monday, February 4, 2008

Why I started emailing God.

I have 3,219 emails in my inbox at work. I get dozens every day and spend at least a few hours managing my emails every week. On top of that, I also send people instant messages. I call them on the phone. I stop by their cubicles. The majority of my day is spent communicating with people. So why then, when it comes to interacting with God, do I have such a hard time?

I think the main reason is that I limit the ways I can communicate with him. I put him in a really tiny box called "prayer" and then keep him there for the rest of the day. Unless I've got my eyes closed and my holy vibe on, I don't really talk with him. But what if I'm wrong?

What if, God wanted us to communicate with him like we did other people? What if he wanted to be in constant communication, like some sort of bluetooth phone device attached to your ear?
What if God likes emails too?

I think he does, which is why I created the account, "EmailsforGod@yahoo.com." Now, whenever I feel like interacting with God, I don't pretend I need incense and some sort of chanting or a prayer closet or a quiet moment. I can fire him off three lines, on the middle of a Monday, in the middle of work, in the middle of a stressful situation.

That's what I've started doing and I kind of like it. The emails aren't long. Usually I will just send him a few sentences like, "God, that meeting was really stressful. Ugh, that was gross. Help me have a good attitude for the next one." Not that complicated, not that fancy, not that big of a deal.

But I've noticed that when I do that, two things happen: 1. I'm able to let go of the issue. By doing something as simple as that, I often feel that I am able to pass the baton to God. To let go of something and let him handle it. 2. If I write something out in an email, it usually quiets the worry and fear in my head. Fear loves being just inside your mind. It, like mushrooms, grows best in the dark. When you write it down in the light though, things you thought were big tend to shrink to their real size. Worries you thought were impossible suddenly look more possible.

Perhaps emailing God is a silly thing to do. I understand that, but for me, it's one more way to connect with the person I believe is my most important person. And I think God likes seeing "1 new message" in his yahoo inbox as much as anyone else.

5 comments:

Ally said...

Great post. I've often wished God had an e-mail address (and that he responded via e-mail as well since I'm so dense I probably miss what He's telling me most of the time).

So while I do not e-mail Him, I often type my prayers into a google doc or my journal--sometimes e-mailing it to myself at home to later add to my journal.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing. So cool Jon!

brooke said...

Wow... That's a great idea. I have a hard time praying vocally, because my mind wanders, so I end up just thinking about the hole in my sock or whether or not I unplugged my hair straightener. I do better when I write it down, but I'm on the computer all the time, so it would be easier to do it then. I might just do that...

Anonymous said...

Google Echo Prayer Manager..
If you're a person that has a hard time remembering to pray for certain things or people.. you can set this page up to email you or text you at a specific time daily, or several times a day, to take time out to pray. You can also keep a journal there about the status of ongoings in your prayer life. It's the coolest thing.

Heather said...

i email God too.... i just find it such an easy way to focus and connect with him....i just send them into a folder in my email... i think it might be time to start a website for people who want to mail God though....?

just a thought.

Hope you have a blessed day and that work didn't stink.

Blessings and thanks for sharing the thoughts.