Friday, June 13, 2008

Genesis 6 - The walk before the water.

I want to do "big things" for God. I am not entirely sure what that means. It probably means that I want to write a book and become a public speaker and eventually get really big fake teeth so that I look "pastor handsome." OK, everything except that last one is real. I want to do big, massive, powerful things with God, right this second. In the immortal words of Van Halen, I want everything "right now."

But in reading Genesis 6 today I realized that God doesn't work that way. He can, I mean He's not incapable of doing that, but I'm not sure that's His style. In Genesis 6:9, we are told that Noah "walked with God." It's a pretty simple sentence really, but it's one we take for granted because we get distracted by the ark.

I think the Bible has a rhythm and when we ignore it, we miss things. I don't think it's accidental that before God tells Noah to build the ark, before Noah gets his instructions, we are told they walk together. We think sometimes that it had to Noah must have been dumbstruck when God gave him his instructions, but maybe he wasn't. Have you ever thought about that? Maybe years spent walking with God taught Noah that anything was possible?

We often don't take the time to walk with God. We want the Ark moment right now. But maybe God wants to walk with us first. Maybe He wants to hang out, like He did with Noah, before He reveals some massive mission. Maybe He wants to take a million walks with us before He sends a single raindrop. Maybe I need to be focused on taking one smell step with God instead of one giant leap for me-kind.

It's an admittedly simple idea, but I think we all need to walk before there's any water.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that. It's so often that I want things done right now! I want to know what my purpose in life is and have it fulfilled right now! But maybe God wants me in this job that I don't like for a while to learn to really appreciate loving what I do. Thank you for the reminder that the Lord can and most often does work in small ways over the years. One day though! I will look back over all the paths taken and be thankful for the years of questions, because the answers were worth the wait!

Ruth Chowdhury said...

Thanks for this reminder. My husband & I seem to be at a time in our lives that we really are longing to do something big but for several reasons we feel like we just can't right now. But it is so true that God is with us & probably just wants us to take a walk with him. A few steps at a time. So we will walk with him, and when it comes time, we'll be ready to build that ark!

Tom said...

I agree with you Jon. We need to walk before we run right? And I think that this is a great example of how God works and wants to be in all parts of our lives. This time will prepare and enable us for the "big" thing we have on our hearts to do for Him.

vanilla said...

--Maybe I need to be focused on taking one smell step with God instead of one giant leap for me-kind.--

This is powerful.

SCL makes me laugh but your devotionals are real meat to provide strength for the spiritual walk.

Rob said...

Jon,

Great post today....

Keep posting here often!

Your SCL makes me laugh...

97SWG makes me think...

Thanks for sharing!

Rob

T and T Livesay said...

Good thoughts, we love your blogs!

T&T

Anonymous said...

Yep! And, I'll betcha that God didn't stop walking with Noah while he was building the ark, although that's what I always heard because, afterall, that is not recorded. I bet walking with God is how Noah got through the whole ordeal, that's how he remained obedient and faithful and how he ignored everyone making fun of him. I bet God even helped with getting the splinters out of his hand and just having the stamina to follow through. God was walking with him everyday ... just like He walks with me and you ... everyday when we embrace Him that way.

Unknown said...

Hi... I am really loving your blogs. Thanks for letting God use you.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Never considered that, always assumed it was just that Noah knew God, wanted to be closer.

Wow, straight to my heart, Jon, thanks!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

You are awesome for writing these little devotionals. I feel very alienated from God right now. I don't even feel like picking up my Bible, but these little snippets, reflections, seem like a taste of what I'm missing. Thank you for reminding me.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Wonderful post.

Glenna said...

I hear what you're saying. I have so much I want to do, but right now, just walking seems to be a struggle. One moment at a time though.

katdish said...

Maybe I'm going backwards. I used to want to do big, over the top, high impact things for God. Lately, I find myself looking for opportunities to help out with no "God strings" attached. I feel like God wants me simply to serve and to show love -- to get over myself, so to speak. If He leads me to bigger things, I pray that they will be done with humility and kindness. I tend to want to be at the center of things, but maybe it's my time to scoot over.

And BTW, I think what you're doing right now is pretty huge.

Dez Reavey said...

Anon #2 (Not currently reading Bible)

I am currently in the same position.

Thanks Jon.

Vinton J Bayne said...

You have a great ability to find the over looked details in scripture.

This is another thing I've never really thought into.

But it's great and so true.
Noah probably wasn't dumbfounded, because He knew G-d and He knew how G-d worked, because He had a relationship with Him.

Our relationship with G-d is more important than the huge things we do for Him and it's where our focus needs to be.