Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 10. Return

Proverbs 12:10
10 A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

Having unwittingly participated in the death of our only pet, a beta fish named Baby Neptune, I’m in no position to talk about the first half of this verse. But the second half reminded me of an issue I’ve had with email lately. I realized that sometimes when I send someone an email thanking them for doing something for me, I get frustrated if they don’t email me back. I didn’t realize this at first, but I think that I often send the appreciation more as a way to make them think I am an appreciative person and in turn earn a reply thank you email than to actually show my gratitude. When I don’t get that response, when my thank you email goes unread or unreturned or unnoticed, I get grumpy. That is stupid, but even that small act of kindness carries hidden expectations and unwritten rules.

9 comments:

Ed said...

Ahh the never ending circle of "Thank you", "No no, Thank You", "No really thank you", "Oh, please it was nothing, Thank you", "It was not nothing, thank you", "You're welcome"

What actually really has bugged me lately is when I tell someone "thank you" I get the response "no problem" or even worse the acronym "np".

I'm almost to the point of actually appreciating the no response.

Funny thing, when we tell God "Thank you", he doesn't respond with a "You're welcome", "No Problem" "yw", "np"; He responds by continuing to pour blessings down on us.

Donna said...

right there with you, Ed......

Stacy from Louisville said...

Anything given that has an expectation attached is burdensome. It drives me nuts, especially at Christmas or birthdays. The obligatory gift or card doesn't hold the same sentiment. The pressure of "if I don't do this or do it well enough" somebody's going to be pissed, makes me puke.

Candy said...

Thanks Stacy, for saying that for me. I didn't want to say it and have someone get mad at me. How sick is that??

Amen, Ed.

joshua conti said...

great thought =) im the same way sometimes...

auntmeggie said...

that is just the reminder I needed this morning as I sit here complaining to myself about the person I appreciate not appreciating me for appreciating them.

thanks for the reality check!

Anonymous said...

huh. i think you just described the way i feel when i don't get at least one comment on a blog post.

right on.

Anonymous said...

The second half of that verse just lets me know that even the "good deeds" of those who do not follow Christ are bad. There is no righteousness in any of us. The singer Ronnie Freeman said, "The only thing that's good in me is Jesus."

Anonymous said...

what's this about your pet fish?