Friday, February 27, 2009

Day 27. Prize.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy man does not roast his game,
but the diligent man prizes his possessions.

The other day I wrote a headline for a freelance client. This is what it said, "Killing time should be considered a crime of the highest offense."

I didn't always see things that way. For decades I didn't understand that time is one of, if not the, greatest non renewable possession I have. And I have to be diligent about it, because there is so little of it. I can work more and earn more money. I can spend more money and get more stuff. But I will never, ever be able to add a single hour to my day. Each day will forever contain 24 hours. I am learning to prize that possession. I am learning to be diligent and generous with it, but above all, I think it's critical that we know where our time is going. Sometimes, an action as simple as keeping track of your hours for a week will reveal some surprising things about what you care most about. At times in my life, a time audit would have revealed that TV was my god and God was my hobby.

So the question today is, in what ways are you prizing the possession of time?

9 comments:

Donna said...

Jon,

You prick me to the core......

Debra said...

Wow! That's good. I have given up time on my computer every day from 8:30 to 5 ... amazing how much time I have now ... for my children, for my "to do" list, for things that count. I am thankful that God called me to do this and what's more, He has taken away my desire. Time ... God is good!

P.S. It is 8:13 a.m. :)

Anonymous said...

That day of rest, that I seem to have to fight for.
However I wrote this experience on a blog this morning a little different thot to the word "prize"

Recently I was visiting the jail & talking to a man in his 20's. He told me how he believed Meth was straight from satan. I asked, "then why did you do it?" He said for the prize. I asked what prize? He replied for power & money. I asked where is that now? Then told him "there is a word on the hand-out I planned to give you"." That word is "prize" ... Read Moremy prize is eternal life". I then read 1 Co. 9:24 & gave him the hand-out saying, that I don't have esp, I'm not a magician, God had that just for you to show you that he is with you.

From that time on I have seen a tremendous change in this young man, praying, repenting, reading the Bible & sharing God's word.

lenamarie said...

"At times in my life, a time audit would have revealed that TV was my god and God was my hobby."

I love that line. I hope you don't mind me stealing it...it's a good reminder. Kind of like look at your checkbook/credit card statement to see where your treasure is--what you spend most of your money on.

Anonymous said...

I think this is something you get a bit better at the older you get...even though I am still learning about it all. We seem to wish our time away when we are young - want the kids to get older, want the better job, want whatever. Then it all happens and what you are left with is an empty house, lots of work and much stuff. Now with the best prize - a granddaughter - we have learned to slow down and enjoy. How I wish I could have known this - or believed it - when my kids were small. Bu then I guess that is why God graces us with grandchildren!!! (Grandchildren deserve exclamation points!!!)

Rachel said...

This one was great for me to read! I guess there was a reason I skipped it this morning, I didn't have the time for it to sink in then. I find myself wanting to cut things out more and more. I still watch a lot of TV, but I haven't picked up any new shows in a few seasons, and then I continue to whittle out the ones I watch. It just isn't worth it to me at this time in my life. I could probably do with less computer time, I may modify Debra's plan and give it a shot.

R

Stephanie Wetzel said...

Jon,

It was so great to meet you and hear you speak at OfftheBlogs. :)

But I have to say I'm grumpy about reading this today. I'm working on redeeming my time too, but I still have a ways to go.

In all seriousness, thank you for the reminder.

joshua conti said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.