Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day 14. Seeds

Proverbs 12:14
From the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things
as surely as the work of his hands rewards him.

Farmers are really deliberate. A farmer doesn’t just casually pick out his crop and then scatter the seeds to the wind with the hope that they will blossom into big, strong, fruit bearing trees. A farmer in Cape Cod would never wake up one day and think, “Instead of cranberries, I’m going to try to grow beets in my bog.” They do things on purpose because they want their land to produce the most fruit possible. But have I ever thought of my words that way? I’ve seen the negative consequences before, I’ve been burned by stupid, hurtful things I’ve said, but eliminating the bad is different than planting the good.

If the fruit of my lips is going to fill me with good things, what words do I need to plant today? Who do I need to encourage? Who do I need to challenge? Who do I need to pray for? How can I be as deliberate as a farmer with the words I seed in the conversations I have?

9 comments:

Lothe said...

My words are something I have a disturbing amount of trouble controlling. Usually I think of it in terms of not letting out bad words--thanks for this reminder that there is another side to the coin.

Leslie Young said...

We farm and I'm always blown away by the spiritual significance of so many aspects of the process. But words? You had to go there...thanks.

Lulu said...

Ah. Yes. Uncomfortably good point!!
x

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post for me this week. Words can be so hurtful - I need to watch mine so much more carefully.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is--
BAM.
Right through the heart.
Thanks for letting God speak through you.

Anonymous said...

Excellent!
That is a term many have never noticed, much less pondered. Good pondering.

matt e. said...

Hey John, just wanted to say that I think these little reflections are great. Keep up the good work!

Megs said...

LOVE this. i'm so quick to beat myself up for having done something i shouldn't have . . . i'm working toward building myself up (or, really - accepting God's building of me) toward doing more that i should.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.